Wednesday, May 27, 2009

There is something about The Comrades Marathon


My family and I went to Durban to support my twin sister (Tumi) who was running her second Comrades this week.

We went in two cars so I only had to see my sister for the first time just after the halfway mark. At that point she was feeling strong and excited and was running on target. When I saw her again at about 31 km to go she was taking strain but was fine. At 12k's to go her legs were beginning to pack up and she was in pain and was really down. My younger sister and I were not so sure whether we still wanted to attempt this monster as we looked at all the runners going past.

Contrast this with the finish at the Sahara Kingsmead stadium where we saw Tumi running fast, jumping, waving and in very high spirit. All that pain gone! The high of the finish is something out of this world and gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. There is indeed no better sporting inspiration for me that the Comrades. Tumi's picture appeared in The Times on the 25th of May and can also be found here