Saturday, February 21, 2009

Today I ran 10 km race in 1h08! This came earlier than I expected, thanks to the course we ran at the Tuks Half Marathon this morning in Pretoria. The course had gentle slopes up and down and was easy to run, except the spot between 1 & 2 km markers. There were thousands of runners and the race was very well organised, with plenty water points along the way.

In the morning I wasn't sure if I was ready to run because I only ran a 3.5k during the week and I played an exhausting round of golf at Eagle Canyon yesterday. The only reason I woke up at 4h45 to go to Pretoria was to be up on my feet but not to actually finish at 1h08. So this was a pleasant surprise and I'm now looking ahead to 1h05 within the next month. I don't want to commit to a sub-hour 10k yet until I get to 1h02 (my personal best in 10k).

I'm now beginning to picture my Two Oceans Half Marathon , which is a good thing. The only issue is that my knees are not ok. I think I should focus on running shorter distances during the week so that they can get used to impact. I don't think I'll run any race this coming weekend.