I have a few weeks to go before I attempt my 21.1 km at the Two Oceans Marathon and I have reasons to be very afraid. Since January, I have only ran 3 times (a 3,5 km dash, a 10 km at Sasolburg last weekend and another 10 km at the Valentine Nite Race this past Friday evening). I thought 2009 would be a wonderful year for running for me but this hasn't turned out that way. I still haven't given up on my Two Oceans and have in fact already signed up for it, so I better get my act together.
I will consider myself ready for the 2 Oceans half-marathon if I can:
- Run a 10 km in 1h08 (I'm presently on 1h17 - believe it or not!)
- Run at least one 15 km race before Oceans (a 21 will be a bonus)
- Run at least 18 km a week until April.
I have tried following recommended programmes to complete a half marathon but have found myself struggling to keep up due to other priorities in my life. So I have made up one that I know I can stick to and still avoid injuries. I will keep at it until the race day in April.
