Monday, July 6, 2009

When last did you see a well-behaved minibus taxi driver in South Africa?

I watched 3 matches at the Ellis Park stadium, opening match, Italy vs. Egypt and the closing match and must note a marked improvement in logistics throughout the Confederations Cup. The logistics of the final match felt like they were conducted with military precision. To think that it sounded almost impossible to sit 60 000 South African soccer fans on their correct seats for a match, let alone move them into a stadium via park and ride.

What tops my list is the Gauride park and ride, who were friendly, warm and for once drove at respectable speeds. Our dangerous tigers had become nice cuddly pussy cats. In the taxi we returned in on the last day, the driver even asked us if the heater was warm enough for us since we froze our teats off inside the stadium. I even fell asleep by the time he dropped us at Wits University. Now I’m wondering if they got back to their usual foul mouthed selves and abusive behaviour that poorer South Africans are used to. I remember one incident almost 15 years ago in a minibus taxi when an elderly woman complained about the high speed at which we were going. The driver then dropped the speed to 35 km/h and kept complaining about how he’s doing us a favour by getting us home as fast as he can and we ruined it all.